Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Sunday Speedie






I have had a sketch in my pad for about 2 weeks that I really like, but was worried about its general public appeal, which has kept me from making it into a full size studio work. Since the subject is a cup of morning coffee, and the fact that it could be appropriately hung in a kitchen or eating area, made a smaller scale piece seem like the answer. So this morning I decided to mix up some big piles of paint, and let it fly. The piece is a 16 x 20 acrylic, and the photos go from sketch pad, to newsprint pad, to sketch on canvas with Ultramarine Blue, to block in, to a pretty good finish. About 2 and a half hours work in all.

I really like the finish point now.............I am kicking around putting in a horizon line on the left side to keep the chair from "floating".......and maybe tomorrow after it is completely dry I'll add a tiny bit of highlighting, but no major reworks. These quick pieces look really fresh, and if you mess with them at all, they loose it in a hurry.

So hurray for "The first Sip"

Later

No comments: