Friday, April 4, 2008

Responsibility of an Artist?

As I create original paintings in my studio, I often remember the familiar words from many of the people who look at my art. The "If I only had money I would buy that painting" , or something simular, that leads me to believe my work is desireable, but priced to high for the masses. Or maybe the "I could never pay that much", or "Thats too expensive for only a painting". I realize the average person does not know how much sweat, and heart and gut went into each painting, or that they really care about the 10 years of learning curve it took you to develop your skills. So is it my responsibility to educate these people? To give them enough insight into what went into the work, that they will see its true value?
I see a lot of people that are less talented than me making a fine living, who just know how to market and don't mind selling a customer a cheap reproduction under the guise of fine art. The guy who runs off prints on his home computer, and sells them as fine art. The artists who print off giclees, and dab a few strokes of paint on them so they miraculously become "originals".
Who's to blame for this? The customer who doesn't understand, or perhaps doesn't care what they are buying? Or the martists....the ones who can't make real art, but can market the daylights out of computer prints and pass off cheap repros as originals. Or perhaps the real artist who can produce quality originals, but finds himself running out of money to buy quality paints and canvases. Who is really getting "fooled" here, or are we all just in the end getting what we really wanted?
Back to work here..............Later

No comments: