Monday, May 17, 2010

Dreamer's Chair

Its funny how you evolve as a painter. Here is one of my early works from 2001, or 2002, I can't remember for sure. I was really influenced by Picasso, and loved his innovative way of painting. I would spend lots of time in my big studio working on paintings like these, knowing that the public was just going to love them. But they didn't. I have since come to find out that if something is too new or innovative, or communicates across a narrow band, people can't duplicate (they don't get it), and hence they won't communicate with it. And when your art doesn't generate 2 way communication with a viewer, well its just going to sit in your closet storage. I heard a quote said that "an abstract painting isn't done until somone looks at it". I guess that sums it up.
Anyways, I hope my little dry spell here at the studio dissipates, and I have a fresh new piece of work to post in the morning.

No comments: