Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Hobart

  Here is an in process picture of my latest sculpture.  A little elephant I've named Hobart.  Picked out some colors for him yesterday at Home Depot.  The little sampler jars of test color you can buy there are the perfect size for these sculptures.
  Most of the time I don't try to paint my animals to look like the real thing.  I consider them blank canvases to use as I please to convey something to the viewer, or just to relate something I feel like saying. 
  All the times I have ever saw live elephants, they were being put to use by man to perform tricks, or amuse people.  A far cry from being the monarchs of the African plains that they are in real life.  I have an idea that this bit of tragedy will come to light when I paint him.
  I will be posting daily progress pictures of Hobart to document the path he takes to being finished.

No comments: