Monday, February 18, 2008

Life with my sketch pad

Yesterday I looked through my sketch pad at all the drawings I had done in the past month to a year. I was surprised at how good and interesting a lot of them looked. At the time I drew them I hated them..they were no good and not even close to what I was trying to draw. But seeing them with fresh eyes after some time had passed I realized they were pretty cool. I was inspired to actually bring some of them to life in full color, and get my paints out.
I have found that in previous paintings where my sketch pad was used for inspiration, I often said "I like this drawing, if only the subjects leg looked more like a leg, or maybe the head was the wrong shape or whatever. I found myself "fixing" things in my sketches as I painted.......till the painting was so far removed from the launching point sketch, the reason I had been attracted to it in the first place was gone. I came to a realization that the reason the sketch had turned out the way it had, was because I had wanted it to come out that way! While I sketch very fast, and they seem crude...they capture a certain something........
Hence I have decided to sketch everyday, even if its only one quick drawing, and maintain the crude integrity of the drawing when I turn it into a painting. Can't wait to see what happens....J

No comments: