Monday, April 5, 2010

Another view point

Sometimes I feel like I'm painting the same thing over and over. Sometimes I feel I should really have "something to say" above and beyond "color". This happens when sales are slow and my inventory starts to pile up, and I think, "Why should I paint more flowers when I have a whole stack of them filling my studio already?"
When this happens, I like to look at the work of some of the Expressionist painters I really admire, for both the courage to try new subjects, and just plain inspiration. I really have trouble painting a painting that I don't think people will "get" or one I don't think someone would buy. I constantly worry about wasting paint or canvases on work I want to do, instead .....I paint something that will sell. I remember seeing a film on Picasso, and he had stacks and stacks of blank canvases in his studio. He would start a work and if it didn't pan out, he would just set it aside, pick up a new canvas and start again. How wonderful would that be. I just about cry when I have to order $100.00 worth of paint, and I very seldom do a large piece of work because of the expense of the canvas, and the possibility that the piece will sit in my studio for the rest of my/its life.
This painting I have here is called "Viewpointe". Its only on a 14 x 18 board. How wonderful, and what magnitude, and majesty it might have attained on a 48 x 60 canvas. Where's my blue paint?

No comments: