Sunday, December 19, 2010

Who painted that?


This is the 1st piece I started after my long work hiatus. I always start with blue when I'm struggling to get things moving. I was shooting for a evening back-lit floral............weird huh, because people like florals for the color. This one almost makes the jump, but kinda got stuck in low gear.
As one of my favorite painters once said...."If the work doesn't excite you, don't expect it to excite your audience". I do feel it was a good starting point and an exercise in building up texture, and it led to the cat painting posted previously, which is as spontaneous and fresh, as this one is not.
I am starting to reach a limiting factor, texture wise with my acrylics. They are too soft to build up in one pass and they dry down so fast that you cannot rework into them, only on top. Its also very hard to make changes in your design mid-stream, as the initial design is always frozen in place underneath. If I did not live in Hawaii, I would be switching to oil painting right about NOW!
Some much more expressive and intimate pieces are drying here in the studio, that will knock your socks of, so enjoy "Back lit Floral" 11 x 14, and I'll see you.........later!

No comments: