Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Who's in (under) there?

What to paint? Who doesn't ask themselves that question when you need a fresh start. A new series seems in order, as I just counted about 20 paintings in my last series. Without the motivation of a bunch of sales, that is about my limit for one subject. So again, the age old question......what to paint??????????? What will sell? What do I find interesting enough to keep me motivated to do a thorough series? What will accomplish both goals?
I find if I try to paint for "sales only" without the emotional connection to my subject, it shows in the work. And a lot of times if I paint something emotional moving, it is too "far out" for people to understand. So instead of trying to figure it all out, I just painted a clown. The cool thing about clowns is that their make-up may convey one emotion, while the person under the make-up may be feeling something totally different. So.....the cool thing about clowns as a subject is that you can try to get the emotion of the clown (painter) to show through the actual made up emotion his make-up conveys.
Well...........this one is called "Benny" 14" x 18". Can you see far enough under Benny's make-up to know what I was feeling when I painted him? And how many people on this planet today wear their "make-up" everyday to keep the rest of the world from really knowing what they're feeling? A planet full of clowns.............would have thought? later.

No comments: